Queensland is known as the Sunshine State, and we thoroughly enjoy our weather most of the year. However, the constant sun exposure puts us at the highest rates of skin cancers in the world.
OUR SKIN HEALTH SERVICES
Early detection and treatment of skin cancer is paramount to ensuring a quick and simple road to recovery. To avoid requiring surgery as the result of a serious skin cancer, it’s important to schedule periodic skin cancer check-ups.
If you are concerned at any stage about any changes to your skin (e.g. moles, sun spots, ulcers) we encourage you to make an appointment as soon as possible. A quick skin check is a great starting point for anyone wanting peace of mind.
In addition to this, it is a good idea to get regular skin checks. The frequency of these skin checks depends on your age, your sun exposure and predisposing factors, but generally as you get older more regular skin checks are required (usually annual skin checks are adequate).
CARING FOR YOUR SKIN
- Slip on some sun-protective clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Slop on broad spectrum, water resistant SPF30+ sunscreen. Apply it 20 minutes before you go outdoors and every two hours afterwards. Sunscreen should never be used to extend the time you spend in the sun.
- Slap on a hat that protects your face, head, neck and ears.
- Seek shade.
- Slide on some sunglasses - make sure they meet Australian standards.
- Be extra cautious in the middle of the day when UV levels are most intense.
It's also important to be aware of the Ultraviolet (UV) Index. UV radiation is a type of energy emitted from the sun that can’t be seen or felt, but it can cause significant damage to your skin if left unprotected. The UV Index is reported daily by the Bureau of Meteorology.
SKIN CANCERS AND TREATMENT
Our doctors keep up-to-date with the latest in skin care and skin cancer treatments.
Your doctor will discuss potential treatments and procedure options if they are required, and can refer you on to qualified specialists if further treatment is necessary. Our team have access to the assistance of many dermatologists and plastic surgeons if needed for our patient's convenience.